Thursday, December 1, 2011

i can touch my toes and so much more!

Here's some advice I've learned as a new mom for you future moms out there.   Stretch.   I mean, really stretch out your limbs with some yoga or pilates or something... it's amazing the weird positions you find yourself in with a child.  Carrying a carseat and bending over to get something, or crawling across the floor on your feet and hands just to make your kids laugh.. your body  is going to need to be a little more flexible and strong that you realize for motherhood.
I find myself in the most awkward positions at naptime.  Every once in awhile if it's a rough day or we are at someone's house without a pack and play or maybe just because I want a nap, Genevieve and I will lay down to nap in a bed.  To leave the bed without waking up the kid is a paranoid filled journey.  First I listen for her sleepy breathing and I start by opening ONE eye to see if her eyes are closed.  If not I quickly close mine, and lay still.  Once I see she has both eyes closed I slowly lift my head.  Then wait.  Then one foot slides off the bed.  Then wait.   Then I slowly shift my weight.  And wait.  Sometimes she will sense I am leaving and open her eyes and I quickly close my eyes and put my head down regardless of the position I am in (one foot on the ground and my body at some weird angle).   Then when all is clear I start slithering like a snake, sliding off the bed an inch at a time.  One wrong move and she wakes up crying so it's very important to shift, slide, and move body parts accordingly.    The last time I was in this position I realized how ridiculous I would look had anyone been watching, but it didn't matter, I had made it off the bed and she was sleeping soundly!   The most annoying part is, once I'm out the door I can talk, play music and walk around normally and she sleeps soundly... but if I so much as move my finger wrong while sneaking out of bed, she wakes up crying. 
Anyway,  all that to say to you future moms, do some stretches, it'll really help you out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I remember doing this like it was yesterday. So true. Very accurate description of the maneuvers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha this is great. So true:)

    ReplyDelete