Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Should have Taken Home Ec...what's that stand for anyway?

My husband has taken a terrible part time job to help ends meet.  In doing this I have so much respect for him that he is willing to do whatever it takes (even doing monotonous work in a warehouse with no windows or air conditioning) without complaint.  It brings out this side of me that wants to be super wife and take care of everything else for him on the days he is there.  I try to have the house clean the baby taken care of, things organized... and dinner ready.  Except the dinner part is hard for me.

The hardest part in being a wife/mom/adult in general for me has been the dinner part of it.  I hate cooking.  For several reasons... I find it dull... tedious... messy... exhausting... confusing... frustrating... overwhelming... well... you get the idea.  I think the worst part is cleaning the kitchen, then messing it all up, and having to clean it again!  Or the fact that I usually have NO idea what i'm doing.  Anyway...we rely on WAY too many frozen meals, ready spaghetti, and box meals for me to remotely feel healthy.  So since I'm wanting to be super wife, I decided to try to actually cook every once in awhile.  No big commitment here... just 1 meal every couple weeks to start.  (I know you're wondering what we've been eating up to now...and frankly I have no idea.)

So today Tyler not only had to work at the warehouse, but also mow the yard.  So... I decide, to show my gratitude for my husband, I am going to make a REAL meal!   I decided to make Chicken Parmesan, a dish I have never made before (surprise surprise with all my experience I know!)  I get off work, go to the bank, go home and unload and load the dishwasher, go switch cars with my husband, go pick up Vi, go to the grocery store, get ready to checkout... wait! where's my bank card?!  UGH!  Drive ALL the way BACK to tyler's work to get my bankcard out of the truck, drive ALL the way back to the store to get my groceries.  By the time I get home I realize it's pretty much time for Vi to eat so I have to cook her up something quick (which means yes, I made two dinners).  I go to get started cooking and realize that I do NOT in fact have everything I need... apparently I thought I had olive oil... I did not.  By this time it's near 6 and I haven't even started and so I start freaking out.  Long story short... Tyler got olive oil from the Vaughn's... and dinner turned out amazing.

The moral:  I seriously don't believe making my husband a dinner should be THAT difficult.  It made me want to never tackle a meal again.  Not to mention that reading the directions I was half guessing because I have no idea what half those cooking terms mean... dredge? Throw in a needy 1 year old screaming at my feet and holding onto my legs as I'm trying to figure out the obstacle course that is the food in my kitchen and it was just overwhelming.  I still haven't even cleaned up from tonight!  It was TERRIBLE!  but delicious.
Anyone want to come clean my kitchen?

Tomorrow, we are having mac-n-cheese.
Vi demonstrating how I felt at the end of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment