Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Siblings

I've been thinking lately how Vi is going to be a big sister to a little brother.   How that will work... what their relationship might be like... if they'll love each other as much as I hope they will...things like that.  While thinking about what their relationship might look like I've been thinking about my own relationship my my siblings through the years.

Nichelle and I played together a lot, but she was rather girly, and I 'was' a rather rambunctious tomboy. I'd play lots of fun imagination things with her, we'd dress up, pretend to take care of babies and things like that.  I'd pull her Barbies heads off and chop off their hair... you know...the typical girl stuff.  When that got boring, it was also nice to have Brian to play with.

 Brian and I could build mud forts in the back yard under the swing set, or built awesome Lego castles, or race tracks for our race cars. We all fought violently and swore we hated each other at multiple times in our lives...but the second someone outside of our family messed with one of us... there was hell to pay.  Especially with two cousins across the street... you didn't want to mess with a Horner kid, only we could pick on each other.          

Overall, I kind of had the best of both worlds with a sister and a brother not too far apart in age.  I have a completely different relationship with them both, and I consider them both invaluable.  Nichelle and I talk a ton...naturally as sisters do, about anything and everything.

  Brian and I talk...not as much, but get each others humor, we're kind of mean to each other, but because we think we're being funny.  While Nichelle came to visit us a couple times while we lived in Colorado and Brian didn't... Brian took off work, both to help us pack up and move TO Colorado, and again to move BACK from Colorado.  He didn't get to go enjoy the mountains, he worked to help us out...that's who he is.

I was going through the pictures on my computer and find all these 'cute' pictures of Nichelle and I... and only weird/silly ones of Brian and I... kind of sums us up pretty well I would say.   Either way, I think I have the best siblings in the world, I am incredibly thankful for them, and look forward to watching my own kids form special relationships with their siblings!


1 comment:

  1. Awww - I love this and am totally stealing the idea in the near future for a blog post! You and your sibs are adorable.

    ReplyDelete