Saturday, January 12, 2013

Surprises

So I might be one of the only pregnant women in the world who not only does not know how far along she is, but when the baby is even due.   I had an appointment yesterday and learned that my due date is actually March 23rd, when this whole time I've been telling people it was March 30th.  That being said, it was a reminder of how much I actually want to get done before the baby comes.  Nothing huge or anything, but I did in fact make a list awhile back and thought it was worth looking over at the very least just in case I forget when the baby is due again or something.

Today we decided to take on the toddler bed transition.  We wanted to start this one earlier because we wanted to make sure she has as much time as possible to adjust to changes in her atmosphere before having to adjust to being dethroned and sharing her family with a baby brother.  I read a couple blogs full of tips on helping your toddler adjust to a new bed:  to put them back in bed every time they get up, to lay with them, to let them pick out the bed, to let them pick out the bedding, to start telling them about the change a week before you change them... blah blah blah.   We did not let her pick out the bed, and figured her regular blanket was fine, and came home from a friends and just stuck her in her new bed.  She was asleep within 2 minutes.   
The whole thing was rather humorous, because while I wanted to be prepared for how to deal with a new situation, the entire thing was rather simple.  I guess that's just the predictable part of being a parent in that it is always full of surprises.  

She surprises me every day in her responses, both in entertaining ways and in not so entertaining ways. 

Entertaining:  Waking up to this conversation:  Genevieve:  "Watch a movie?"  Me: "Not gonna happen, how about we listen to music?"  Genevieve: "No way!"    - When did she start saying 'No way'?!  And how does a child raised in THIS house EVER say no to music?  Surprising and somewhat entertaining as she develops her opinions.
Or when I was listening to her whining while sitting in Nana's lap yesterday.  Nana: "Vi do you want to read a book?"  Genevieve: "Nooooooo!"  Nana: "Do you want to color?"  Genevieve: "Noooooooo!"  Nana: "Do you just want to whine?"  Genevieve: "yeah."   - I really couldn't help but laugh.

Not so entertaining:  When I tell her to put her bowl in the sink, she lifts it above her head, and throws it to the floor.  Surprising?  Yes.  Following through with discipline isn't as entertaining as being amused by her opinions when she's being obedient though. 

She is a very surprisingly good eater for being almost two.  Her new favorite breakfast is sharing her 'booties' (smoothies) with me in the morning made with fruit, almond milk and flax seed.  She loves cucumbers, spinach, broccoli, carrots, humus, all fruit, and just overall, will try almost anything.  Meanwhile, most parents I know of two year olds have daily epic battles over food. 
Delicious smoothie and some cheerios.

So regardless if I'm prepared or not, parenthood will always be full of surprises.  I for one hope for more "easy" surprises like with the toddler bed and food, with less 'throwing our bowl on the ground instead of obeying' surprises.  

No comments:

Post a Comment