Sunday, January 20, 2013

Traumatized

So, as most moms know... being a mom is gross.   Not just gross... I mean, flat out repulsively disgusting sometimes.  Dads know this too, not trying to leave them out by any means, but just writing as a mom here.  Either way, as a parent, we have all experienced the epic blow-outs that you don't even know where to begin to clean the child up.   There's the sneeze that leaves snot covering 3/4 of their face.  There's the being spit up on, and as they get older and sick... just the flat out being thrown up on.  I know, I know... this is all very disgusting to even discuss.  However, for the most part, I will be leaving out pictures, pretty decent of me, yes?

By far, the most disgusting thing for Tyler and I is having to use the snot sucker.   I'm not sure what the 'real name' is for this device, but that blue bulb thing the pediatrician is always recommending you use... freaks us out.
  Our reactions to this device is probably comical as we both gag and freak out whenever we have to use it, which does no help to  Vi, who hates being touched on her face in general, and is generally crying her head off through the entire process.  It takes us both, because she is an awfully strong little girl, and one of us has to hold her arms down while the other holds her head and sucks the snot.
    Tonight, she was especially congested, and we knew we'd have to use it for her to fall asleep.   Ugh... this dreaded thing!  After I withdraw snot, I usually squeeze it into a rag or something until we are done.  I wasn't much paying attention, and when I squeezed the bulb to get the snot out, I missed the rag and got a GIANT amount of green nasty snot got all over me.  I cannot describe the noises that came from Tyler and I,  but they were not calm, mature reactions by any means.  More along the lines of jumping up and down, flapping our arms and hands about like high school girls, freaking out with gag-like choking sounds as our child laid on the changing table crying... OK, screaming her poor eyes out.  Probably not our most shining parenting moment.  I missed taking a picture at this moment, clearly not as amazing as this parent:


So as I've stated, having to hear the noise and use those snot sucking bulbs is pretty much the most disgusting thing in Tyler and I's book.  We despise it.  However, it CAN get worse, this weekend I discovered this little device not only exists, but comes highly recommended:

Just posting this picture has Tyler sitting here on the couch saying "that's disgusting!"  How do you use this handy little device?  Oh, simple, you just SUCK THE SNOT OUT OF YOUR KIDS NOSE!  Totally cool right?  Wrong.  Not cool NoseFrida...not cool. According to their website "NoseFrida is non-invasive – instead of going inside the nose like the bulb, it forms a seal with the outside of the baby’s nostril (creating a vacuum). Parent-powered (mouth) suction is much stronger and more effective than the static suction of the bulb or battery-powered aspirators. NoseFrida is also easy to clean." 
Not grossed out yet?  Here's a real picture example of this handy tool at work:

Look how happy this baby is!  This thing is legit.  Not working, uh-uh, no way, will I EVER suck the snot out of my kids nose, I don't care how many filters you have on it or how long that tube is.  At the very least they could make it so the whole thing wasn't clear... you get to SEE the snot come out as you suck!

I dunno, I guess a lot of moms swear by this, how easy and safe and whatever it is.  In fact, a friend of mine just got one, I'm interested to hear if she uses it and how she likes it.  Have any of you moms out there used this device?  I'm interested in one, how you like it... but two, how did you bring yourself to use it in the first place???

Well, by now, you may all think I am way overreacting, or you are thoroughly grossed out.  Hope you didn't just eat or anything.

3 comments:

  1. Oh...that is so disgusting...I'm not a parent yet, but I can't help having a very loud, verbal reaction to the picture of that mom...I can't go on. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who would literally put her mouth to her baby's nose and suck the snot out. I almost fainted the first time I saw her do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing. This really had me cracking up. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall. I don't think I would have thought fast enough to record it either.

    Here is my first encounter with this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6D1zYQF2dA

    I just don't think I could get use to it.

    ReplyDelete