Friday, October 5, 2012

The 'hidden away' rooms and Inspiration

I have recently been feeling inspired by Calista who is doing a 31 Days of Order Challenge for herself and her surroundings.  If you haven't seen it, you can check her out here: A House and A Yard.  It's been inspiring to watch her post pictures of her house BEFORE the order... and her plans towards establishing order in said places.
I have some rooms which are in some DIRE need of serious order.  Mostly cleaning... but also order.  I try to keep the rooms that people see pretty clean and picked up.  I vacuum several times a week, I sweep the floor several times a week, do the dishes daily, stay on top of laundry... and when things get messy, and people are coming over, I put things in the back room.  You know... the room no one sees because you are certain to make sure the door is closed.  Here... I've opened the door:

Looking in the door: the desk, papers, crafts, a printer...and I don't even know
To the right, where I keep my vacuum and the GIANT chinchilla cage I am trying to sell.

A broken bookshelf, a hamper of winter things, a carseat, art supplies, and a dresser full of TONS of things including important papers.
Keep in mind, this room is going to be a nursery in a few months... so not only does this need to be clean AND organized... it also needs to be completely empty of everything in here.  Including the closet: 

Games, baby clothes, baby hiking carrier, work boots, and I think my wedding dress might be in that bottom container... 
It's been quite overwhelming for me to think about... because frankly I don't know where to put everything, also, I'm not very organized.  Clean? Yes.  Organized? No.  I have room mostly, just not sure how or where exactly to put things, or how to organize it all efficiently.   This has been hanging over my head for months and I have to get to it before the holidays and I'm too busy, or afterwards, when I'm just too pregnant and/or need to be setting up the nursery.   So there it is folks... unlike Calista I don't have cool pictures of what I hope it will look like or anything, also, I'm not above asking for help! ;)  So if any of you are super organized people...feel free to come help me, haha!  Also, once I find out what I'm having, maybe I can post pictures of nursery ideas for some overall visual goal for me to achieve!  

Also following Calista's lead...here's some follow-up questions.  Do you have a room in the house that you shove things in or that you make sure the door is closed to when there's company?  
Do you have a good system for your bills, papers, records that does Not involve an office?  Let me know what works best for you!  Because pretty soon, we won't have an office!

3 comments:

  1. So, could that giant cage be redone into a wardrobe for baby? Just an idea, then you could keep the closet for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for the shout out for blog! Several people have come over from yours - Hurray!

    I don't have a shoving room anymore - unless you count the loft in the shed. If it goes into the loft, I better not need it for awhile.

    I know you'll get it figured out. If I run out of things to write about at my house, can I come over to yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia... simple answer? no. for several reasons... one...gross. they pee all over it.. on the shelves and stuff... it's just not very clean, even if i sanded it and cleaned it... not clean enough for baby clothes. two... i'm trying to sell the cage WITH the chinchillas... it's not empty. that's probably explanation enough, but it is pretty cool right? i should have one made for baby clothes! Calista's son-n-law (Adam Weldy) actually made it for me!

    ReplyDelete